Coffee Time USA, LLC is a limited liability company registered in the State of Florida. We are a licensed coffee importing and distribution business. Although our business will be headquartered in Boca Raton, FL where we plan to secure a small 40’ by 40’ ft warehouse in the general South Florida area as we do have immediate plans to expand our distribution channel to all 50 United States. A larger warehouse is not required due to our unique logistics factory-direct to all clients
Coffee Time USA, LLC will be involved in the importation of distinct types of roasted, ground, and whole coffee bean product neatly refined and brand specific packaged coffee directly from our strategic coffee producers located in Costa Rica.
We are aware that there are several major coffee import companies in the United States which is why we have spent considerable time and resources to conduct our feasibility studies
and market surveys. We believe our ultimate success will be driven by the most innovative and unique distribution and strategic marketing plan and relationships we have created; a planned B2C online e-commerce presence and a local market distributor program armed with the various payment options available to them which will drive sales and expansion for our company.
Beyond the importation and distribution of coffee products from the “Top 5” leading coffee brands from Costa Rica, our customer care is going to be second to none and deliveries will be timely and highly dependable. We recognize that our customers are the sole reason we are in business which is why we will go to the extra mile to retain them as satisfied business partners.
Coffee Time USA, LLC will ensure that each one of customers (distributors, retail clients, consumers, non-profit partners) are given first class treatment whenever they visit us online, or order coffee products directly from us.
We have identified a CRM software which will enable us to manage, service, and maintain a direct and ongoing one-to-one relationship with each of our customers no matter how large or small they may be. We will ensure that we engage our customers in the selection of coffee brands to distribute and whenever we make business decisions that directly affect their business.
Coffee Time USA, LLC will demonstrate our commitment to sustainability by actively participating in our various communities and integrating sustainable business practices wherever possible. We will ensure that we hold ourselves accountable to the highest standards by meeting our client’s needs precisely and completely.
The domestic and international coffee business falls under multiple trade segments. From the farming, production, processing, and packaging of coffee beans to the import, export, and distribution of coffee, and to the retail sale of coffee to individual consumers, restaurants, grocery and convenience stores, and at-work accounts.
Coffee is a most popular beverage and an important commodity that is consumed in all the countries of the world. In fact, several millions of peasant farmers in developing countries make their living growing coffee and selling to importers from developed countries.
Statistics shows that over 2.25 billion cups of coffee are consumed in the world every day and over 90 percent of coffee production takes place in developing countries – mostly South America, while consumption occurs most often in developed countries.
The two most economically important varieties of coffee plant are the Arabica and the Robusta; 75 to 80 percent of the coffee produced worldwide is Arabica and 20 percent is Robusta. Arabica beans consist of 0.8–1.4 percent caffeine while Robusta beans consist of 1.7–4 percent caffeine.
The fact that coffee is one of the world’s most widely consumed beverages, coffee beans are a major cash crop and an important export product, counting for over 50 percent of developing nations’ foreign exchange earnings.
The coffee import /export industry is most active in the United States, Canada, and European countries. The industry generates billions of US dollars annually from a number of coffee importers scattered throughout the United States. This business is responsible for the employment of millions of people directly and indirectly involved in the processing, packaging, and sale of coffee to the end consumer of coffee product.
U.S. Coffee Consumption Statistics
* Sixty-four percent of American adults currently consume coffee every day.
* Americans drink about four hundred million cups of coffee every day.
* Americans drink about 146 billion cups of coffee per year.
* Sixty-six percent of women drink coffee every day, compared to 62% of men.
* Seventy-nine percent of Americans prepare coffee at home.
* About 35% of coffee consumers usually drink black coffee.
* Forty-five percent of US coffee consumers brew their coffee by a drip coffee maker.
* An average American drinks 3.1 cups of coffee per day.
* The percentage of people who drink coffee is greater among workers with a higher income.
* Seventy-four percent of Americans aged 55+ drink at least one cup of coffee every day.
* Seventy-nine percent of Americans prepare coffee at home.
* Forty-eight percent of millennials consume gourmet coffee.
Several factors that encourage entrepreneurs to start their own coffee business is that the product and industry is thriving with most retailers, restaurants, at-work account, chain grocery and convenience chains, big box retailers, and individual consumers.
The coffee import export business is indeed a vast industry and there are many players in the industry hence its competitive nature. The fact that the industry in most states and cities is competitive does not in any way stop an aspiring entrepreneur from entering the business.
Coffee Time USA
Ray Carolin founded Coffee Time USA, LLC. Ray holds a B.S. degree from Northern Michigan University as well as an Executive Management certificate from Thunderbird, Graduate School of International Business. He is a U.S. Air Force veteran, and former United States Secret Service special agent.
Ray also served as a vice-president and National Sales Manager of The Coca-Cola Company, and as president of MacGregor Sporting Goods, Inc. – Team Sports division, a publicly traded company. He also served as president of Minibar USA, a global leader of in-room minibars to 850,000 hotel rooms located in sixty countries.
Ray has over 25 years’ direct experience and leadership in the chain grocery, convenience, and at-work retailing trade channels including the import industry working for leading consumer brands and products doing business in the United States and Europe.
Distinguishing characteristics of our business will be the combination of management experience, sales and distribution experience, high-quality, innovative products, and exceptional customer service.
What will set us apart from other coffee distributors will be that we are the ONLY full-service distribution company servicing the non-profit fundraising sector operating within the United States.
Products and Services
Coffee Time USA, LLC is operating within the import industry and will be engaged in the importation and distribution of a wide range of coffee beans and neatly refined and packaged coffee products from the “Top 5” coffee brands/producers in Costa Rica. We are in business to earn a profit and will ensure that we do all that is permitted by law to achieve our business objectives.
As of this writing, Coffee Time USA, LLC has entered into strategic supplier partnering agreements with the “Top 4” (most popular/best-selling) coffee producers / brands in Costa Rica.
They companies & brands include:
e. Café Rey https://reysolcoffee.com/
Due to the anticipated large volume of packaged coffee orders Coffee Time USA will receive from multiple non-profit client organizations and retailers we will continue our ongoing effort to forge additional coffee producer/supplier relationships.
Coffee Product(s) offerings include:
- Breakfast blend
- Afternoon blend
- Dark Roast
- Light Roast
- Package Offerings:
- Keurig cups
- 1 lb. ground
- 1 lb. whole beans
- 2 lb. ground roast
- 2 lb. whole beans
Mission and Vision Statement
Our value proposition is to be an innovative coffee business model that is sustainable, honest and fair. As a coffee provider we are driven to earn the loyalty of our customers and will grow our business by developing and marketing coffee products that are recognized leaders in both quality and consumer demand.
We seek to enable and inspire customers to enjoy a coffee experience by providing distinctive, excellent service, high quality superior coffee products, and a dependable partner to our clients.
We are driven to provide the absolute best products, service and support to our clients and provide the absolute best business practices, distribution, logistical, marketing, merchandising, promotional and pricing support to our business partners, non-profit organizations clients, retailers, and individual coffee consumer.
Our vision includes becoming the leading go-to company and coffee brand(s) sold directly to consumers by non-profit organizations as part of their fundraising campaigns, and to chain grocery, convenience, mass merchant, restaurants, at-work accounts, and online / e-commerce on our corporate website.
Our overall mission is to build a profitable coffee importation and distribution business that will effectively distribute a wide range of coffee products at affordable prices to non-profit organizations, coffee retailers and consumers throughout the United States.
Our intent to launch and build a unique coffee importation and distribution business in the United States leveraging an innovative and unique distribution and financial model with multiple non-profit organizations as clients, and leading national and regional chain grocery, convenience, mass-market, big box, at-work accounts and restaurant chains who will partner with Coffee Time USA as their provider for their corporate Community Action fundraising campaigns.
A key to our success will be the exclusive supplier relationships we have created with the “Top 5” coffee farmers and producers located in Costa Rica.
We will ensure that we put the right structures in place that will support the kind of growth that we have in mind while setting up our business. We will make sure that we hire people who are qualified, honest, customer centric and ready to work by help Coffee Time USA to build a prosperous business that will benefit all our stakeholders and the communities in which we operate.
We have made a commitment to hire qualified, competent, and experienced employees to occupy the following positions:
- Chief Executive Officer / President
- Warehouse Manager
- Admin & HR Office Manager
- Sales and Marketing Manager
- Information Technologist (third party vendor – WSI)
- CPA (outside service provider)
- Attorney (outside service provider)
- Local market distributors (non-profit organizations
Roles and Responsibilities
Chief Executive Officer – President
- Increases management’s effectiveness by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, coaching, counseling, and disciplining managers; communicating values, strategies, and objectives; assigning accountabilities; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
- Creating, communicating, and implementing the organization’s vision, mission, and overall direction – i.e., leading the development and implementation of the overall organization’s strategy.
- Product pricing and the maintaining and forging new business opportunities.
- Providing direction for the business.
- Responsible for the banking, financing, legal, accounting, stakeholder relationships. signing checks and documents on behalf of the company.
- Evaluates the success of the organization.
- Reports to the board.
Admin and HR Manager
- Oversee the HR and administrative tasks of the organization.
- Maintains office supplies by checking stocks; placing and expediting orders; evaluating new products.
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements, calling for repairs.
- Defining job positions for recruitment and managing interviewing process
- Conducting induction for new team members.
- Training, evaluation, and assessment of employees.
- Arranging travel, meetings, and appointments.
- Oversee the smooth running of the daily office activities.
- Organizing the safe and efficient receipt, storage, and dispatch of warehoused goods (coffee products).
- Consulting with customers, suppliers, and transport companies
- Planning, coordinating, and monitoring the receipt, order assembly and dispatch of goods (coffee products).
- Use space and mechanical handling equipment efficiently and making sure quality, budgetary targets and environmental objectives is met.
- Coordinate the use of automated and computerized systems where necessary.
- Keep stock up to date and making sure inventories are accurate.
- Produce regular reports and statistics on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
- Ensure proper records of goods are maintained, and warehouse does not run out of products.
- Ensure warehouse facility is in kept clean and all goods are properly arranged and easy to locate.
- Supervise warehouse workforce.
Sales and Marketing Manager
- Manage external research and coordinate all the internal sources of information to retain the organizations’ best customers and attract new ones.
- Model demographic information and analyze the volumes of transactional data generated by customer purchases
- Identify, prioritize, and reach out to new partners, and business opportunities, et al.
- Identifies development opportunities; follows up on development leads and contacts.
- Supervise the implementation, advocate for customer’s needs, and communicate often and well with clients.
- Document all customer contact and information.
- Represent the company in strategic meetings.
- Increase sales and growth for the company.
Information Technologist (Outside Service Provider)
- Manage the organization website.
- Manages ecommerce aspect of the business.
- Installing and maintenance of computer software and hardware for the organization.
- Manages and maintains company / brands SEO, social-media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Ali Baba, Etsy, Google, Amazon, TikTok, blogs, etc.).
- Manage logistics and supply chain software, Web servers, e-commerce software and POS (point of sale) systems.
- Manage the organization’s CCTV.
- Manages any other technological and IT related duties.
CPA (Outside Service Provider)
- Prepare financial reports, budgets, and financial statements for the organization.
- Provides management with financial analyses, development budgets, and accounting reports.
- Provide financial forecasting and risks analysis.
- Performs cash management, general ledger accounting, and financial reporting.
- Developing and managing financial systems and policies.
- Administered payroll.
- Ensuring compliance with taxation legislation.
- Manages all financial transactions for the organization.
- Serves as internal auditor for the organization.
Corporate Attorney (outside service provider)
- Prepare all corporate legal documents, filings, responses and insights to Coffee Time USA, LLC management and board of directors.
Client Service Representative
- Ensures that all contacts with clients (e-mail, walk-In center, SMS, or phone) provides the client with a personalized customer service experience of the highest level.
- Through interaction with customers on the phone, uses every opportunity to build client’s interest in the company’s products and services.
- Manages administrative duties assigned by the human resources and admin manager in an effective and timely manner.
Consistently stays abreast of any current information on the organizations’ products, promotional campaigns, and to ensure accurate information is supplied to customers whenever they make enquiries
We will incorporate SWOT analysis as a strategic and management
technique used to assist Coffee Time USA management to identify strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats related to business
competition or project planning
. SWOT is often called situational assessment or situational analysis.
The name SWOT is an acronym for the four components of examination:
· Strengths: characteristics of our business that gives it an advantage over others.
· Weaknesses: characteristics that place our business at a disadvantage relative to others.
· Opportunities: elements in the environment that the company might exploit to its advantage.
· Threats: elements in the environment that could cause trouble for our company/products/brands.
Deciding what our Coffee Time USA strategy should be is, at least ideally, a rational undertaking. Its principal sub-activities include identifying opportunities and threats in the company's environment and attaching estimate of risk to the discernible alternatives. Before a choice is made, the company's strengths and weaknesses must be appraised.
The SWOT methodology as a management tool is intended to identify the internal and external factors that are favorable and unfavorable to achieving the objectives of our company.
Coffee Time USA management will incorporate SWOT analysis to build our organizational strategy.
Coffee Time USA corporate planning includes the following steps such as:
· Setting objectives—defining what our company is going to do.
· Environmental scanning.
· Internal appraisals of our organization—an assessment of the present situation as well as a portfolio of products/services and an analysis of the product/service lifecycle.
· Analysis of existing strategies—this should determine relevance from the results of an internal/external appraisal, and may include analysis
of environmental factors.
· Defining strategic issues—key factors in the development of a corporate plan that the company must address.
· Developing new/revised strategies—revised analysis of strategic issues may mean some objectives need to change.
· Preparation of operational, resource, and project plans for strategy implementation.
· Monitoring all results—mapping against plans, taking corrective action.
In competitor analysis
, we will build detailed profiles of each competitor in the market, focusing especially on their relative competitive strengths and weaknesses using SWOT analysis.
We will examine each competitor's cost structure, sources of profits, resources and competencies, competitive positioning and product differentiation, degree of vertical integration
, historical responses to industry developments, and other factors.
Our immediate intention is to align Coffee Time USA, LLC with a number of non-profit organizations expressing interest in the direct selling of coffee to their friends, family, neighbors, relatives, and business associates (ex. Girl Scout Cookie sales model).
Each participating non-profit organization client will solicit coffee orders from their targeted consumer. They will secure the individual consumers coffee orders and will collect payment immediately upon time of order.
The fundraising campaign chairperson of the client non-profit organization will consolidate their collective order’s and submit said order via a password protected Coffee Time USA, LLC website. When placing their respective coffee orders with Coffee Time USA the non-profit will submit payment for all coffee orders.
Upon receipt of the non-profit’s coffee order and payment in full - Coffee Time USA will redirect the order and payment in full directly to our coffee supplier / partner in Costa Rica. Coffee Time will collect our profit on the sale of the coffee at the time we receive said order and payment for the non-profit organization’s coffee order.
Once Coffee Time USA will receive the non-profits coffee order and collects 100% of the payment the coffee, we will then forward the coffee order plus payment in full to our respective coffee supplier/partner in Costa Rica. Upon receipt and payment received by the coffee supplier/partner they will produce and ship the coffee product directly to the non-profit organization or, to their designated local market group leader.
Upon receipt of their coffee shipment, the non-profit organization will be responsible for the delivery of the coffee shipment directly to their local customer.
This highly innovative and unique highly profitable business and financial model has been perfected by The Girl Scouts of America and their cookie manufacturing partner.
In Y 2021 the Girl Scouts of America will have sold $ 1.1 B dollars of cookies directly to the consumer.
Coffee consumption has shown steady growth over the last twenty years and from all indication, the growth is not going to plummet. Coffee addicts would always go out of their way, if possible, to stop by a coffee shop to drink a cup of coffee.
In recent times, the Coffee industry has been sustained by increased consumer spending, driven by higher disposable incomes and greater confidence in the overall economic outlook. In fact, the demand for coffee has increased at a faster rate than most segments in the foodservice related industry, as consumers increasingly seek convenience at an affordable price. Additionally, the industry has adjusted to the everchanging consumer preferences, especially those relating to health and diet.
Going forward, these trends are expected to continue to shore up demand. As a result, major coffee importers will invest in expansion and international growth, strengthening the revenue generated in the industry. Usually, sales for coffee triples during winter season and in most cases small coffee bars struggle to meet the demand for coffees during this period.
Those individuals who own/operate coffee shops do not struggle to attract clients especially if they are well positioned. Lastly, it is now a common phenomenon for import and distribution companies to leverage on technology to effectively predict consumer demand patterns and to strategically position their business to meet their needs.
Sales and Marketing Strategy
The coffee products industry has a wide range of customers; a considerable number of people consume coffee products daily. In view of that, we have positioned our company to service a unique segment of our targeted consumer base by leveraging the relationship non-profit organizations hold with their donors, benefactors, membership, and those consumers / citizens within the non-profits respective circle of influence who are willing to purchase a package of high-quality coffee in exchange for a pre-set price/donation.
Giving USA 2021: The Annual Report on Philanthropy for the Year 2020
reports that individuals, bequests, foundations, and corporations gave an estimated
$471.44 B to U.S. charities in 2020.
Coffee Time USA’s management believes the frequency and popularity of charity giving supported by an attractive coffee centric fundraising program adopted by a number of national, regional, and local non-profit organizations will result in significant sales, revenues, and profits.
NONPROFITS BY THE NUMBERS
97 % percent of nonprofits have budgets of less than $5 million annually, 92 percent operate with less than $1 million a year, and 88 percent spend less than $500,000 annually for their work. The “typical” nonprofit is community-based, serving local needs.
Examples of non-profit organizations include national organizations such as the Red Cross, American Cancer Society, American Heart Foundation – to Little League Baseball, Girl Scouts of America, Make-a-Wish Foundation, Boy Scouts of America, Future Farmers of America, Wounded Warrior Project, St Jude’s Hospital for Children, American Legion – every grammar school, high school and college in America, sororities, fraternities, fraternal organizations, local clubs, churches, synagogue, police, zoos, veteran, and thousands of other regional, local or small fundraising groups.
Revenue Sources for Charitable Nonprofits
The entire nonprofit sector earns more than 80% of its revenue via private donations, fees for services and performing government grants and contracts (although each individual nonprofit has its own revenue mix—there is no standard one-size-fits-all).
Coffee Time USA, LLC is poised to become the primary coffee distributor to those non-profit organizations operating within the United States and Canada.
Coffee Time USA, LLC is in business to import and distribute a wide range of coffee products from coffee farmers and production company partners to the following business trade segments:
- Non-profit organizations.
- Retailer’s of coffee products (chain grocery, mass merchant, convenience, big-box, at-work, restaurant).
- Coffee kiosk operators.
- Coffee vending machine operators.
- Coffee shops /drive throughs.
- Online / e-commerce (individual consumer’s).
- Coffee Clubs (ex. Office Depot, Wall St Journal, etc).
- Private label brands created for a select number of retailers / companies.
A in-depth study of the coffee industry reveals the market is gradually becoming more competitive. In fact, we must be highly creative, customer centric and innovative if we are to thrive within the industry. We are aware of the growing competition, and we are prepared to compete favorably with other leading coffee products importers and distributors.
One thing is certain, we will ensure that we have a wide range of products available for our clients. Our excellent customer service culture, timely and reliable delivery services, online presence, and various payment options will serve as a competitive advantage for us.
Management has examined the coffee product import and export industry. We have analyzed our chances for success operating within the domestic coffee industry. The following sales projections for Coffee Time USA, LLC, is based upon our highly innovative and unique business and financial model, the location and timing of our entry into the business, the exceptional brand (s) of coffee products we represent, as well as other related factors as they so relate to coffee product distribution and sales within the United States.
3 Year Financial Sales Forecast
- #1st Fiscal Year: $ 4.2 M
- #2nd Fiscal Year: $ 5.5 M
- #3rd Fiscal Year: $ 7.2 M
Pricing is one of the key factors that provides leverage to distribution companies and retailers, it is normal for retailers to purchase products from distribution companies who offer less expensive products. Coffee Time USA will work towards ensuring that all our products are distributed at highly competitive prices compared to what is obtainable in the marketplace.
With a sales strategy and primary focus on working with non-profit organizations our wholesale pricing is not negatively impacted by competitive brands of coffee nor as sensitive as is within the retail trade.
Startup Budget & Expenses
The following expenses are budgeted for start-up operations:
- The total fee for registering the business in the Florida + United States of America – $750.
- Legal expenses for obtaining licenses and permits as well as the accounting services (software, P.O.S machines and other software) – $3,300.
- Cost for insurance (general liability, workers’ compensation, and property casualty) coverage at a total premium – $2,400.
- Cost for payment of rent for 12 months at $1.76 per square feet warehouse facility in the total amount of $105,600.
- Cost for warehouse facility remodeling (construction of racks and shelves) – $20,000.
- Start-up expenses including stationery ($500) and phone and utility deposits ($2,500).
- Operational cost for the first 6 months (salaries of employees, payments of bills - $150,000
- Cost for inventory and coordination (the amount needed for the importation of diverse types of coffee beans and importation of neatly refined and packaged coffee products from Costa Rica – $100,000
- Storage hardware (bins, rack, shelves, crates) – $3,720
- Cost for the purchase of furniture and gadgets (Computers, Printers, Telephone, TVs, Sound System, desks, tables & chairs) – $4,000.
- The cost of launching a website – $2,600
- Miscellaneous – $10,000
Coffee Time USA is a privately held business solely owned and financed by Raymond E. Carolin. As sole owner Ray has decided to restrict the sourcing of the startup capital to (3) sources. These sources include:
- Startup capital from personal savings.
- Capital Raise = $ 500K venture capital.
- Source for competitive long-term operations loan from SBA.
- Apply for commercial loan from bank.
Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
Part of the plans we have in place to sustain Coffee Time USA, LLC is to ensure that we continue to import and deliver quality coffee products, improvise on how to do things faster and cheaper. We are not going to relent in providing conducive environment for our workers and the required trainings that will help them always deliver excellent services.
We are quite aware that our customers are key component to the growth and survival of our business hence we are going to continuously engage them to give us ideas on how to serve them better. We will not waste time in adopting innovative technology, best practices and diversifying our services; expand our product and service offerings once the need arises.
Our key sustainability and expansion strategy as a business is to ensure that we only hire competent and technically sound employees, create a conducive working environment and employee benefits for all our staff members. We know that if we implement our business plan and strategies, we will grow our coffee products importation and distribution business
Milestones / Checklist
- Business Name Availability Check: Completed
- Business Registration: Completed
- FormLimited Liability Company (Florida): Completed
- Opening of Corporate Bank Accounts: Completed
- Securing Point of Sales (POS) Machines: In progress
- Opening Online Payment Platforms: In progress
- Application and Obtaining Taxpayer’s ID: In progress
- Application for business license and permit: Completed
- Purchase of Insurance for the Business: In progress
- Leasing of warehouse facility and remodeling the facility: In progress
- Conducting Feasibility Studies: Completed
- Generating capital from family members: Completed
- Applications for SBA Loan from the bank: In progress
- Writing of Business Plan: Completed
- Drafting of Employee’s Handbook: In progress
- Drafting of Contract Documents and other relevant Legal Documents: In progress
- Design of The Company’s Logo: Completed
- Printing of Packaging and Promotional Materials: Completed
- Recruitment of employees: In Progress
- Purchase of the needed furniture, racks, shelves, computers, electronic appliances, office appliances and CCTV: In progress
- Creating Official Website for the Company: In progress
- Creating Awareness for the business both online and around the community: In progress
- Health and Safety and Fire Safety Arrangement (License): In progress
- Compilation of our list of coffee products that we will import and distribute: Completed
- Establishing business relationship with coffee farmers, coffee products production companies in Costa Rica and other countries: Ongoing
- Establishing relationships with Top 1,000 non-profit organizations. Ongoing
- Developing fundraising campaigns with non-profit organizations: Ongoing
- In progress and coffee products retailers within the United States of America: In progress
A number of coffee importers have operated within the industry for a significant period while others are best known for how well they conduct their businesses and the results they have achieved within the industry.
Several of the leading coffee import companies in the United States are:
- Atlas Coffee Importers LLC
- Cafe Imports Warehouse
- Sustainable Harvest Coffee Importers
- Zephyr Coffee Importers
- Inter American Coffee Inc
- RGC Coffee
- Cafe Imports Office
- Royal Coffee Inc
- Walker Coffee Trading LP
- JC Coffee Importers
- Elephant Coffee Importers
- Crop to Cup Coffee Importers
- Atlantic Specialty Coffee
- Olam Specialty Coffee
Nonprofits: Impact Matters https://www.nonprofitimpactmatters.org/site/assets/files/1/nonprofit-impact-matters-sept-2019-1.pdf